Away from your home? Cooking isn't your strong suit? Planning a surprise meal for your loved ones? Whatever might be the reason, it's always a good idea to acquaint yourself with a few basic cooking skills.. in case there is a lockdown and you can't eat outside or order the favourites online. Oh, snap!
Rest assured I am not here to mock but help you guys. Between a fellow kitchen-noob to the other, these 8 easy-to-make recipes will change your life like they did mine.
A quick note though; follow the instructions, don't turn down a helping hand and try not to burn down your house.
1. Oreo Cake
Only if we had the patience to bake an entire cake. Well, now wouldn't need any. Here's an easy-to-bake oreo cake recipe that will satisfy your cravings without breaking a sweat.
Image Courtesy: Dinner, then Dessert
- 2 Packets of Oreo Biscuits
- 1 Cup of Milk
- ENO powder
- 3 Teaspoons of Sugar
Recipe for easy-to-make Oreo Cake:
- Collect these ingredients in a blender and start blending
- Once done, take a micro-safe bowl, grease the interior with oil (to avoid sticking) and pour the batter into it
- Place the bowl with the batter in the microwave oven and micro-heat it for 10 minutes
- Your oreo cake is ready to fill your belly with love.
2. Pizza in a Cup
The only thing I love more than a pizza is "pizza in a cup". A perfect treat for all the Joey's (F.R.I.E.N.D.S reference) in the house and a sensible recipe for you lazy lots.
Image Courtesy: Bigger Bolder Baking
- 1/2 cup Flour
- Baking powder and Baking Soda
- Pizza sauce
- Olive Oil
- Mozerella cheese
- Vegetables of your choice
- Oregano & Chilli flakes
Recipe to make Pizza in a Mug:
- Get your favourite mug and fill it with half a cup white flour, 1/2 tablespoon baking powder, 1/8th tablespoon baking soda, a pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 6 tablespoons of milk
- Now mix it up real nice
- Apply the batter on the sides of the remaining mug and add a layer of pizza sauce
- Set your veggies - onion, bell peppers, olives, etc and place on the sauce
- Mug half full? Now fill the rest with mozzarella cheese. And a lot's of it
- Microwave it for 3 and a half minute
- Garnish the mug with oregano and chilli flakes. Grab a spoon and attack!
3. Watermelon Cooler
Crack open the doors to heaven. Whatever be the season, a glass of watermelon juice will always be one of the easiest recipes you can make at home.
Image Courtesy: Honest Cooking
- Mint leaves
- Soda (optional)
Recipe to make Watermelon Cooler:
- Dice your watermelon real nice and remove all the seeds
- Grind these pink water cakes in a mixer
- Once done, strain out the juice and a pinch of salt and squeeze a lemon with mint leaves on the brim of your glass
- To make it into a watermelon mojito add a little soda before you pour the juice. A healthy cool fix for all seasons.
4. Curd Chicken
I don't kid around when it comes to food, that too is a non-veg delicacy overflowing with flavours. Curd chicken is a treat for the eyes and a quick fix for your ever-roaring hunger pangs. Just follow the instructions and you'll be alright.
Image Courtesy: YouTube
- Ginger & Garlic
- Spices( Salt, pepper, garam masala, chicken masala)
- Coriander to garnish
Recipe to make Curd Chicken:
- Give your chicken a full-rub massage by marinating the pieces with curd and the above-mentioned spices
- Let it rest for about 30 minutes
- Take a frying pan, butter it up real nice and let ginger and garlic work up the bubbles
- Once they give you a brown-cooked impression it's time for your marinated chicken to go in
- Shallow fry until it's golden brown and oozing with flavours
- Garnish the result with coriander leaves and serve it with chapati, or cream cheese
5. A Ramly Burger/Sandwich
Try not to judge the dish by its name because you are about to witness something remarkable. Once smitten by this burger/sandwich, going back to the other kind will take a lot of heart. This easy-to-make recipe is a real gem in the cooking world and a heaven-made for clumsy chefs like myself.
Image Courtesy: JuiceOnline
- Minced chicken or Soy chunks
- Cream & Mayonnaise
- Spices( Salt, pepper, garam masala, chicken masala)
- Corriander to garnish
Recipe to make Ramly Burger/Sandwich:
- The first step is to crack those eggs and make a nice hash-brown omelette
- While heat is cooking its magic on eggs, place shredded chicken or soaked soya chunks (depending on your veg or non-veg preferences) and add cream, half tablespoon of mayonnaise (optional) and spices. Mix it well
- Now that your omelette is ready, toast your bread/buns until brown
- The secret lies in the placing of the three different ingredients
- Pick the omelette and carefully place it on the toasted bread/bun
- Add the filling on the bed and fold the omelette to cover the filling
- Place another bread/bun on top and it's ready to rock your world
6. Corn & Miso Soup
Here's a warm hug for winters. A yummy and easy-to-make soup recipe that will get you through the harsh weather.
Image Courtesy: BBC
- 1/2 cup Corn
- 1 1/4 Cup Corn kernels (creamed)
- 3 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp white miso
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper (freshly ground)
- For drizzling Chili oil
Recipe to make Corn & Miso Soup:
- In a medium pot, add corn and creamed corn kernels and add 02 cups of vegetable stock, add more of the stock if required
- Bring to a boil, simmer until stock is infused with corn flavour, for about 1/2 an hour
- Heat butter in a non-stick pan. Sauté onion until translucent, about 3 minutes
- Add miso and 1/2 cup corn stock and stir to dissolve miso
- Add corn kernels and another 1/2 cup corn stock and cook until corn is cooked through about 2 minutes. Set aside and let it cool
- Blend till smooth. Add stock. Strain soup through a fine-mesh soup strainer, back into the pot, season it with salt and pepper
- Simmer for 2 minutes
- Pour the soup into 04 bowls and drizzle with chilli oil
- Serve hot
7. No-Bake Cheesecake with Oat Crust
A treat for parents and children alike, here's a delicious 3-ingredient cheesecake filling with no gelatine or heavy cream, that comes together in 10 minutes and is pretty amazing.
Image Courtesy: Homemade Mastery
- Cream cheese
Recipe to make No-baked Cheesecake:
- In a bowl, take add cream cheese, honey and vanilla, and mix for a while until you get a smooth mixture. Keep it aside
- Take a blender or a food processor and add oats, butter cinnamon and some honey
- Blend until you get a crumbly mixture that sticks together
- It's time to combine the crust and pastry. In a cupcake mould, gently press down the oats mixture to make a base
- Now smear base with cream cheese filling you just prepared
- Top it off with strawberry slices and refrigerate for 2-3 hours
- Serve cold
8. Maggi & Baked Beans on a Cracker
Fancy a treat that's hard to beat and fairly easy to make? I'd take that as a yes and give you this toothsome recipe of a bite-sized Maggi snack made better with the cream cracker.
Image Courtesy: Tarla Dalal
- Maggi single pack
- 5 tablespoon baked beans
- 2 teaspoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped Garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped Onion
- 2 tablespoon Ketchup
- Salt to taste
- Cream cracker biscuit
Recipe to make Maggi & Baked Beans on a Cracker:
- Make your regular Maggi noodles as per the instructions on the pack and keep them aside
- For baked beans; heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add garlic and onion. Saute for a minute or so
- Add baked beans, tomato ketchup and salt to taste. Keep cooking on the medium flame for a minute or two and keep aside
- Now it's time to assemble the cooked ingredients. Take the cream cracker and top it with a tablespoon of Maggi from step 1, a teaspoon of baked beans from step 3 and half a teaspoon of grated cheese for the climax
- Repeat step 4 to have plenty and serve fancy
Only rarely does a recipe come along which is as easy as eating and now you have a bunch of them to start with.
Q. What is the easiest thing to cook?
A. Pasta, steamed rice and omelette are the easiest things to cook.
Q. What can you make at home easily?
A. Mug recipes like mug cake, pizza in a mug, and soups are the best things you can make at home easily.