The dawn of the era of social distancing and self-quarantine introduced humanity to a host of unprecedented problems, most of which revolve around doing the things we once paid a professional for, by ourselves at home. If you were to ask the female half of the population about the lockdown generated concerns they've been bothered with for the past 2 months, quips and complaints about the inability to seek out their trusted parlour waali aunty, are likely to surface. Which is quite understandable, because commonly experienced beauty problems won't just vanish away, simply because you can't get professional help to deal with them.
Although the definition of beauty, let alone the concerns encompassing it, are unique to every woman out there, there are a bunch of commonly occurring beauty problems that most women are or have been plagued by. From unexpected break-outs right before an important engagement to gnawed lips begging for hydration, it's almost comforting that some of our beauty problems remained exactly the same, regardless of whether we step out of the house or not. And now since an expensive salon treatment is a bit of a distant possibility, we have to figure out ways to fix these problems at home.
So, without dwelling any further, here's a list of 5 most common beauty problems, along with their DIY solutions.
Image Courtesy - Pexels
1. Oily Skin
Oily skin is irritating, period. The constant feel of stickiness and heavy oil weight on your face can be immensely bothersome, especially when it paves the way for other problems like clogged pores and acne.
- Use an oatmeal face mask to soak up excess sebum
- Slap on an egg white + lemon face mask
- Exfoliate your skin with ground almonds
- Use a cleanser + toner + moisturiser routine every morning
- Apply tomato juice to your face for 15 minutes & wash off, every week
Do I even need to talk about this one? Every girl out there knows how frustrating the appearance of a new zit on the face is, especially considering pimples have an unusual way of showing up exactly when you desperately don't want them to. They're also dealt with in similar ways by most girls, which includes prodding and poking at them till they've grown in size considerably, and are likely to leave a scar.
- Moisturise your skin with aloe vera
- Use apple cider vinegar + water solution as a cleanser
- Treat the spot with a drop of tea tree oil
- Use a sugar + coconut oil scrub to exfoliate your face
- Apply cool green tea to your face with a cotton ball and leave overnight
3. Dark Circles
Another beauty concern commonly experienced by an array of women across the nation is that of prominent dark circles and under-eye bags. Some of us seem to have been cursed by tired-looking eyes no matter how many hours of sleep we get in the night. Dark circles can be especially stubborn and difficult to get rid of quickly, especially now that our make-up kits aren't being used as much.
- Soak 2 cotton swabs with lemon + tomato juice and place over eyes for 10 minutes
- Place two chilled tea bags on the eyes for 15 minutes
- Apply a paste of ground almond + milk under you eyes for 10 minutes, 3 times a week
- Use potato juice to bleach your under-eye skin naturally
- Apply rose water to face and under-eye skin for 15 minutes every day
For more DIY solutions for tired eyes, check THIS out.
Image Courtesy - Pexels
4. Dehydrated Lips
From a lack of adequate water intake to exposure to the sun, there are several reasons that can underlie a chapped pair of lips. And if you're anything like me, you probably worsen the condition of your dry lips further by incessantly licking them, chewing on them, and picking at the flaking skin.
- Lather on a generous coat of coconut oil
- Soothe sore lips by applying aloe vera gel
- Keep applying a drop of honey to your lips whenever they feel dry
- Use white petroleum jelly before bed and leave overnight on lips
- Exfoliate dead skin cells with a sea salt/ sugar + olive oil scrub
5. Frizzy Hair
Now, this is a hair concern most of us have battled at some point or another. Even after washing our hair with high-end conditioning shampoos and using plenty of styling products, some of us have to deal with perpetual frizz in our locks. Bushy, untameable hair can be extremely annoying to combat, especially when the air outside makes it near impossible to smoothen our tresses.
- Rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar + water
- Use a raw egg + almond oil deep conditioning mask once a week
- Make it a practice to oil your hair twice or thrice a week, preferably with coconut or olive oil
- Lather on a banana + honey hair mask once a week
- Condition your hair with honey + yoghurt for 30 mins once a week
There you have it, a guide to taking care of your beauty problems, right from the comfort of home. Ready to ransack your kitchen, yet?